I have not been able to access the internet since July 1st, until late this afternoon.
I tried rebooting the DSL modem, router, and computer, numerous times. I tried connecting directly to the DSL modem from the computer itself. I contacted Earthlink numerous times. Nothing solved the problem.
Finally, I decided to try replacing cables, starting with the phone connection. Lo and behold, that was the problem, once I connected a new phone connection, everything worked fine.
This has been a good lesson for me, to practice what I preach. I have always told others check all the simple things first, such as making sure everything is plugged in correctly, and swap out cables first. If I had followed my own advice, I would have saved days of aggravation.
If something like this happens to you, remember check the simple things first.