I don’t know about you, but I find this “feature” in XP to be quite annoying.
If you are like me and find this annoying follow the instructions below to turn it off:
- Right-click the Start button and click “Properties” to open the “Taskbar and Start menu Properties” window.
- Click the “Customize” button to open the “Customize Start Menu” window and then click the “Advanced” tab.
- Remove the check in the check-box labelled “Highlight newly installed programs”.
- Click “OK” to save the changes and exit the “Customize Start Menu” window.
- Click “OK” again to exit the “Taskbar and Start menu Properties” window.
Of course this is reversible, should you ever want to return to having the balloon pop up and tell you just installed a program that you just installed and highlight it in the start menu.