On May 20, 2015, I gave the Portable Applications and the PortableApps.com Platform presentation at the Boca Raton Computer Society’s general meeting.
The linked Portable Applications and the PortableApps.com Platform PDF is a version of the slides, used for the presentation, with more text information than visual.
I have used portable applications and the PortableApps.com Platform itself for a long time. One of the best reasons is because these are free, though they might ask for a donation, and I can take all my settings with me.
Summary of Presentation
An overview of portable applications for MS Windows in general
- What a portable app is
- Why to use a portable app
- Where to get portable apps
- What I consider essential portable apps
An overview of the PortableApps.Com Platform
- PortableApps.com home page
- PortableApps.com Platform 12.0.5 download
- PortableApps.com Platform install
After the presentation, I performed a live demonstration of installing the PortableApps.com Platform v12.0.5, how to start it up, the options, the menu items, and how to install apps with the platform.
The following videos show all but the installation itself.
PortableApps.com Platform 12.0.5 Startup
This video shows how to start the platform, and explains the menu items.
PortableApps.com Platform 12.0.5 Options
This video is a run through of the options for the platform, the defaults and what I like to change.
Do you use portable applications, with or without the PortableApps.com Platform?
What are your favorites, or what you consider essential?
- The Best Portable Apps (makeuseof.com)
- Best Free Portable Applications (techsupportalert.com)
- Reduce the risk of downloading Windows malware on the Internet (ghacks.net)